Golden milk, or more popularly known, turmeric milk, is a drink made up of an array of spices. Basic recipes include cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, and some type of sweetener. What makes this golden milk recipe stand out from the rest is the addition of saffron or saffron honey. The combination of sophisticated spices with the sweetness from the honey gives this drink a unique taste. This simple drink is a strong antioxidant and a great mood booster.
The traditional Ayurvedic drink with anti-inflammatory turmeric and warming spices is even better when sweetened with a dollop of Zaffrus saffron honey.
- 1 cup milk (whole milk or 2%)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric or 1 Zaffrus Saffron powder pod
- 2 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 thumbnail-size piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1-inch piece cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
- Honey to taste (If you’re using Zaffrus Saffron Honey, no need to add additional saffron powder)
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk until lukewarm. Add the spices and simmer over very low heat for 5 minutes. Do not let it boil.
- Remove from the heat and cover. Let it steep for 5 minutes, then strain into a cup. Sweeten with saffron honey to taste.
Makes 1 serving
Photo Credit: Ted Rosen