Eager to add the subtle taste of saffron to your cooking, but unsure where to start? We’ve compiled 5 easy recipes that will have you enjoying the delicate and unique flavor in no time.
Before you begin, it's important to note that saffron must be infused in liquid in order to release it's aroma, flavor, and color. You can use any liquid your recipe calls for, otherwise soak your threads in a few tablespoons of warm water for at least 15 minutes.
This couscous from AllRecipes makes a delicious side dish or light lunch.
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 5 saffron threads, or more to taste
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon harissa, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- sea salt to taste
Directions: Serving: 4 , Prep: 15 min, Ready In: 30 min
- Combine warm water and saffron together in a bowl.
- Mix couscous and vegetable broth together in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Remove saucepan from heat, cover saucepan, and let sit for 5 minutes. Fluff couscous with a fork and transfer to a bowl.
- Stir saffron mixture, celery, currants, olive oil, lemon juice, harissa, cumin, and sea salt into couscous. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 30 minutes.
Serves 4 as a side dish, or 2 as a main dish salad.
Chicken or beef broth can be substituted for the vegetable broth, if desired.
Ground red pepper or red pepper flakes can replace harissa.
Fried Cauliflower with Saffron:
This simple vegetarian side dish from Fine Dining Lovers can be ready in just 30 minutes.
- Cauliflower 1, large, divided into florets
- Ghee 60 ml (clarified butter)
- Saffron 1 pinch, ground
- Garlic 2 cloves, finely chopped
- Ginger 4 cm piece cut into thin strips
- Cumin 5 ml, ground
- Green chili pepper 2 each, seeds removed, cut into fine strips
- Salt To taste
- Black pepper to taste, ground
Directions: Serving: 4, Prep time: 10 min, Cook: 20 min, Ready In: 30 min
- Blanch the cauliflower in salted boiling water for 2-3 minutes then drain.
- Heat the ghee in a large frying pan and fry the saffron, garlic, ginger, cumin and chillies for a few minutes.
- Add the cauliflower and fry gently for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and ground black pepper and serve in bowls.
Refried Cannellini Beans With Saffron:
Check out these creamy, luscious legumes from Food Republic.
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 Spanish onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Pinch of saffron (about 10 threads)
- 3 cups cooked cannellini beans
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock, preferably homemade
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Leaves from 4 sprigs fresh oregano
Directions: Serving: 6, Prep Time: 10 min, Cook Time: 23 to 25 min, Ready In: 35 min
- In a saucepan or small pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. When hot, sauté the onion and garlic for 3 to 5 minutes, or until translucent.
- Take the pan from the heat and add the saffron. Let it infuse the oil mixture for about 5 minutes.
- Add the beans and return the pan to the heat. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the broth has reduced by half.
- Off the heat, mash the beans with a wooden spoon until nearly smooth. This can be rustic and lumpy or very smooth, depending on how you like it. To make it smooth, use a food processor. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve drizzled with oil and topped with the oregano.
Saffron Pancakes without eggs:
These light, crepe-like pancakes can be rolled with sweet or savory fillings and enjoyed as a breakfast, snack, or dessert!
- 350 g Wheat Flour
- 700 ml Milk
- 3 EL Oil
- 3 Pinches Salt
- 0.5 g Saffron
- Mix flour, milk and salt with a mixer in a large bowl until you have a smooth dough.
- Now fold in ground saffron.
- Put oil in a hot pan and bake each side for approx. 1 – 2 minutes. Afterwards, fill pancake with sweet or savory goodies.
Cardamom Saffron Pistachio Yogurt Pops:These cool and creamy yogurt pops make a unique dessert with a Mediterranean influence.
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 inch piece of cinnamon
- 1 pinch saffron
- 2 cups 2% Greek yogurt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3.5 ounce package vanilla pudding
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pistachio nuts
- Combine the milk with the cardamom, cinnamon, and saffron in a sauce pan. Steep the spices in the milk until fragrant making sure not to boil the mixture. Allow to cool to room temperature
- Combine the yogurt with the sugar in a large mixing bowl with a whisk.
- Pour in the steeped milk and stir to combine. Add the pudding mix and whisk until the pudding has dissolved. Stir in the pistachios.
- Pour into a popsicle mold or ice cube tray and freeze according to directions.